Author Topic: update limit reached - WB2  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Andy9164

• Midlifedad
update limit reached - WB2
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »
Hello everybody.

I have WB_22 as my template with the steel gauges running in realtime. If I stay on the webpage for a while I eventually get a message scrolling across which say the page update limit has been reached and I have to click on the red status icon to get it running again. All is well for a while then I have to reset it again. My problem comes that if I wish to permanently display this page then I will need to keep resetting it to be accurate. Is there any way to avoid this.

I am new to weather stations, cumulus, templates and php but am learning quick (its a long story which I may post one day in the General forum).

As far as I can see its not any changes I have made to the templates as I also have the "originals" running in a separate site and I seem to get the same results.  :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Great site by the way.

I came across it when looking for a new template for Cumulus website, saw the WB_1 looked great but then saw the steel gauges so went for WB_2 and have had good (and sometimes frustrating) fun working out whats going on and making minor changes while trying to learn some php at the same time.

Please keep up the great work.

Andy

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
    • http://www.meteostours.ca
Re: update limit reached - WB2
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the good words!

Your problem seems to be with your provider, pages are not supposed
to have a "time limit", but if you want to have a web page refreshed
automaticly, you have to modify your page to include some kind of
refresh/reload... or deal with F5 key in your browser!

You could do some "Googling" about that to see how to manage it, as it is
a current problem for "live" sites since browsers are all trying to "save" you
money by using already cached (local) files instead of returning to website
to call a new version.

Problem is that the header of your pages have to use "expire", because browsers
check the timestamp (or expire) of your pages and if it is the same, never call
the file again, using the cached version instead.

Hope this help!

Regards,
Jacques
Please, consider supporting this site 

Offline Andy9164

• Midlifedad
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »
Thanks Jacques for the information and suggestion. I now have the page automatically refreshing.

I found a <meta> command (in blue) to do this and inserted it in my gauges file as follows.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
   <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="300">
   <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
   <title>Weather Blues v2 template - gauge view - Design 1</title>

The "300" is the refresh time in seconds so at the moment the page is refreshing every 5 minutes. All I need to do now is sit and watch how long it takes until I get the update limit message and adjust accordingly.

I am currently developing the site on a local server (part of the long story I indicated earlier) so it may be something to do with the settings in XAMPP that is causing the issue.

Regardless, problem is solved for the moment and I have learnt something new today ;D

Appreciate your help.

Andy

Offline Andy9164

• Midlifedad
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43:44 AM »
Latest Update.

Not entirely happy last night with the screen refresh solution I decided to do some more work on what was causing the problem.

I found in the /lib/gauges-ss/gauges-light.js file the following line

pageUpdateLimit   : 0,                     //period after which the page stops automatically updating, in minutes (default 20),
                                                        // - set to 0 (zero) to disable this feature

As you can see I changed mine to 0 and now I don't get the error message and I don't have to have the screen refresh with the <meta> command.  :)

If you are using one of the other gauge types and what this then just modify the appropriate gauge file.

2 things learnt yesterday, although technically the above was in the very early hours.

Andy

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
    • http://www.meteostours.ca
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 06:34:30 AM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the trick, I haven't try this as I don't monitor station
from Template... but it seems like others do!

Regards,
Jacques
Please, consider supporting this site