Author Topic: Selectable History Graphs with 'dayfile.txt' data  (Read 5278 times)

Offline avoorpool

• http://pickeringweather.ca
Selectable History Graphs with 'dayfile.txt' data
« on: January 16, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »
Hi Jacques,

Another week.........Another addition to my website  :)

Recently, when I visited some Cumulus websites I came across a nice webpage with selectable (History) Graphs Data.
David J was willing to share the info and send a perfect instruction file how to implement the script. (it needed just 1 "GO" and everything ran smoothly!!!)
It is NOT the 'wxgraph.php' file (I have that running on another page), but this script is using Cumulus 'dayfile.txt' data (from the start the weather station has been operational).
After creating a MySQL database on the webserver, the daily data is stored on the server. (so NOT depending on Wunderground uploads/data)!!!
I now finally use Cumulus 'Toolbox' as well, not to forget the daily upload of required files.  ;)
Graphs are based on HighChart and look absolutely great.
Have a look at: http://www.altonaweather.ca/historicgraphs.htm
One final thing I have to address is the 'buttons:active' settings in CSS file...

Cheers,

Arthur

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
    • http://www.meteostours.ca
Re: Selectable History Graphs with 'dayfile.txt' data
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:55 AM »
Hi Arthur,

Yes, a great page!! And with SQL, you're now in a whole new world as you
can manage your data real better! Example, by using your SQL interface,
(phpMySQL??) you could sort all data as a regular Excel column to find
Min/Max value and then remove "spikes" really easily!!

Also, now you are not "attach" to already made summaries!
Jus a few lines of PHP to learn and some SQL SELECT to try!

Regards,
Jacques
Please, consider supporting this site 

Offline Pete

• Fordingbridge Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 03:29:23 PM »
Hi Arthur,
I like the new additions to your site.
I have added an Annual Data Summary page to my site under the History drop-down. I liked your bordered months and dates so I have done something similar.

I am interested in adding the Selectable History Graphs. Did you email David Jamieson for the details? I have searched the Cumulus Forum and the Wiki but can't find anything except info on the realtime graphs using HighChart which I don't think is the same thing.

Today we have had our first snow in my area of the south of England for a couple of years -  9cm! I have added this to my index.php using $snowdepth tag generated by the Cumulus Diary.Although it relies on updating the diary, I think I can cope with doing it once or twice every couple years!

Kind regards ......... Pete.
http://www.fordingbridgeweather.co.uk

Offline avoorpool

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the message and comments.
Your index-page bridge-photo (header) is AMAZING!!!!! It reminds me of the many times I visited the UK for work (living in Holland till 13 years ago).

As for the Historic Graphs, there are a couple of .ZIP files which I can forward you if you like. Just drop me an email (arthur@altonaweather.ca) and you'll have it.
Those are indeed different than the 'Realtime Graphs' (I find those to 'busy' and besides that, I have enough Realtime Data displayed, including the 'Cumulus Weather Console'....)
For the Historic Graphs, make sure your server supports SQL since the history graphs are taken from a SQL database, created on your server.
Also, it uses the Cumulus 'Toolbox', which you can download from the WiKi pages.

I thought you had more snow in the UK???
I started to use the <#snowdepth> webtag, but figured out that it resets at midnight. After a snow blizzard on Boxing day (15 cm in Toronto) I entered the Weather Diary, and the snowdepth perfectly showed on my website........However the next morning, it showed 'Snowdepth' 0 cm.....
So I decided to enter it manually (same effort) on my Index and Today pages and at least it stays till I change it.......

Let me know if you're interested in the files (or contact David directly, although I don't want to be the person giving him 'extra' work  ;)....)

Cheers,

Arthur

Offline Pete

• Fordingbridge Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
Hi Arthur,
Thanks for the offer of the zip files. :D
I am still not sure of the best way to record snow fall and am interested in how you do it.

Is your "Snow Depth" the measure of currently lying snow which increases with additional falls or reduces as it thaws?

Is your "Total Snowfall" figure just done manually from the daily snow fall amount?

Thanks ......... Pete

Offline avoorpool

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
Hi Pete,

As I mentioned nefore, I don't use the <#snowdepth> webtag (entered in the Weather Diary) on Cumulus Main Page.
I enter the values manually after each snowfall (or during snow, when it lasts for more than 4 hours), and I've made an excel sheet with  daily snowfall as well as 'total snowfall' over the entire winter.
I've attached a .pdf file with descriptions of 'how snow is measured', and I follow most of it.
For example: My total snowfall this winter was 19 cm on Thursday. On Thursday night we had 2 cm of snow, so I entered in my 'indexT.htm' and 'todayT.htm' files this amount, and added the total to 21 cm.
By today (Saturday) temp rised to +5 C, so snow is gone. Re-entered current snowdepth to 0 cm and keep total amount as it is.
A simple 'ruler' does the job perfectly!!!!

Cheers,

Arthur