Author Topic: Absolute newbe  (Read 2881 times)

Offline g0hdi

• G0HDI's RADIO SHACK
Absolute newbe
« on: March 04, 2013, 06:47:53 AM »
Hi all. I have just purchased and installed a WH-1081 weather station and had my Cumulus page running ok on Virgin.net, my server.  Yesterday I tried the 'Sunny Weather' template, but for some strange reason no matter how I tried my graphs were showing very silly readings. I must be going scenic in my old age   :'(.  Anyway I gave up on that in the end and this morning thought I'd try' Weather Blue' instead.

As you see from the link to my page, It is basically up and running.  I know how to edit the web pages, but I'm stuck on making the clock show my own time.  Wonder if anyone can put me right there please.

Very happy with the template so far though. Thanks ;)

Best regards,
Brian Walker

http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.walker3/wx/index.htm

Offline g0hdi

• G0HDI's RADIO SHACK
Re: Absolute newbe
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 08:54:48 AM »
Well I'm getting somewhere slowly ;). Clue from previous posting got my clock to read correctly, however, have other oddities to sort now.  The graph page needs a good talking to  :'(  How I'm getting rain history from 2011 beats me. I only installed the thing yesterday :-X  The other graph readouts seem to be lagging behind my clock by two hours.  Any ideas guys?.

Cheers! Brian

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
    • http://www.meteostours.ca
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »
Hi Brian,
Things going good on your site! :)

For hours mismatch, you could see your Pc clock 1st to be sure that it is right!
Also, you could check Configuration --> Internet --> Files to be sure that the option
"Include standard Images" is ticked!

Regards,
Jacques
Please, consider supporting this site 

Offline g0hdi

• G0HDI's RADIO SHACK
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »
Hi Jacques, thanks for the prompt reply and of course for your excellent templates.  I read somewhere that Virgin are not out of the html league yet so have restricted myself to the html version.

The PC clock is spot on, and shows up as so in Cumulus.  I have the 'Standard' and 'Images' files ticked ok, however, I have not uploaded any 'Local Filenames' to 'Remote filenames' in Cumulus Site/Options/File. Is that important at the moment?.  I will probably get round to it anyway when I get more adventurous with adding extra pages.  If you follow the home link you will see my Ham site, where I have played about quite a bit with pages from scratch as it were so I'm not one to sit still for long ;)  Actually a must have project in future is the scrolling forecast. Love it :-*

I already tried to include a picture of Calshot on the side bar, but even though I made plenty of room for it using my web editor (Namo WebEditor) to modify the IndexT page, the result was that my picture would appear on top of the Observations panel :'(  I removed it for further consideration ;)

Presumably the rain record will read the correct date/year etc when I have actually get some to record.  Hasn't rained since install of course, which for England is a rarity.  I guess I can live with that.

Unfortunately my pressure reading was way out with surrounding stations after firing up, so had to compensate resulting in the forecast being a bit silly, but it will all settle down.

I have relevant real time boxes ticked in Cumulus, and obviously I've uploaded your 'Internet' files, so is there something I've missed that stops the real time guages appearing please?.

Guess that's about it for now.  Thanks for your help.
Regards, Brian

Offline g0hdi

• G0HDI's RADIO SHACK
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »
I've since managed, after a couple of hundred tries at combinations of upload addresses >:( to get infos and system pages up and running (all I needed in the end was to enter wx/infos.htm  Likewise wx/system.ht.  wx being the directory on the server.  Unfortunately,  I had already removed the relevant links as I thought I wasn't going to use them. What a silly person!! When I try to put them back they sidle right up to the previous link, no matter how far I space them on the templates :'(

Apart from that, the main worry is the fact that the 'Trends' have frozen ie 02:00 to 13:00  It's now 21:18 :'(  This is doing my head in.  I'm going to end up in a head shed at this rate. Enterprise!, one to beam up 

Offline Pete

• Fordingbridge Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »
Hi Brian,
I am no expert but a couple of things to check :-
On Cumulus Internet Setting under the File tab make sure you have the "Include Standard Images" ticked - I think this uploads the processed Trend graphs.

Under the Site/Options tab, Web Setting, make sure you have FTP options selected.
It doesn't look as if your realtime.txt file is being updated - it has a time stamp of 11:07:43 today.

I have attached a screen shot of my Web Settings which might help.
As you can see, I am not too far away fom you.

Regards ........... Pete

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:39:49 PM »
Hi Brian,

I've visited your site and seen no numbers at all.
Then I think you have to follow instructions catrfully,
starting on step 2: http://weatherbyyou.com/wb1_sheet.php#install

This template is intended to replace Cumulus Standard Template.
Cumulus have its own template, located in C:\Cumulus\Web folder
(if you installed Cumulus in C:\Cumulus path). With Weather Blues v1,
we simply take the place of the Standard templacte, with our own.

A place that could be difficult is the path to your website, into
Configuration --> Internet  --> Site/Options tab -->  Directory.

Many users have to put 'public_html', but could be "www", "public", etc...
Also, since you already have a website, you probably want it in a separate
folder. eg "public_html/weather"

Hope this help!

Regards,
Jacques

Offline g0hdi

• G0HDI's RADIO SHACK
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 02:52:30 AM »
Good morning Pete and Jacques, and thanks for your observations and suggestions.  The only thing different to your set up Pete is that I had 15 minute interval instead of 5.  I've now altered mine to 5 minutes.

I must point out that when I am either out of the house or asleep my Ham Radio shack that contains my computers/internet facility etc, is shut down.  Therefore weather data will appear to freeze.  You, in Canada Jacques, will probably be still trying to view my system when I am in the land of nod ;)

Anyway, I know that my pages, including the extra ones, have been sent to the relevant directory as I can enter the address and see them eg

http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.walker3/wx/system.htm
http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.walker3/wx/infos.htm

I don't have the link on the main page at the moment, but today I am going to reinstall your original data files to Cumulus, removing the existing ones of course. (I had completely removed the Cumulus Data file and replaced it with yours Jacques.  I assume that was the correct thing to do) This will bring your original links back into play too.  After sleeping on it, I'm convinced I have  corrupted  some file or other during my modifications, so a clean rebuild is called for here I think.

If that doesn't work I'll download a fresh Cumulus program too, assuming I've corrupted that instead.
Either way I'll get there in the end, no worry. 

As I type I notice that no fresh data is being uploaded. However, Cumulus/File/Web Update does result in updating the data on my web page. (Cumulus Include standard files and Standard images are ticked by the way in )  Ok, that's it for now as I have to go out.  I'll do a fresh install when I return lunch time. 

I have so much equipment running here when the Ham shack is running, that I'm paranoid about possible (Murphies Law) electrical faults/fire risk if left live when I'm out.  Seeing as the place is primarily built of wood I feel easier killing all power.  Only the fridge is still operational then ;D  Naturally my on line weather station will not receive data at such times, but I understand the WH-1081 will send up accumulated history when it's reunited with the internet.

Regards, Brian (G0HDI, if you wondered, is my Radio Ham callsign by the way)

Offline g0hdi

• G0HDI's RADIO SHACK
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »
Hi guys! ;D Well after 4 days of brain damage I have reached the conclusion that things aint gonna work for me after all :'(

I've tried two providers, both in the root directory and sub directories, and used two different computers. I have followed the instructions re replacing web folder and uploading internet files and used up all my options in Cumulus setup/uploading. 

The best I can manage is to have Weather Blue (html version) up and running receiving data ok, but the Trends page flatly refuses to update/shift from the, default apparently, data.  ie rain record from 2011 :-X

Any attempt to alter the templates eg make a link to the System page, which I had uploaded successfully, results in Cumulus having a nervous breakdown.  That is to say further data uploads stop working and as a last straw the error light wouldn't stop flashing.  Even after reset. Which meant removing the batteries and usb lead. The error light would resume on restart.  Of course I have lost all of the last 4 days of data, which didn't please me either.

All in all I think I've had enough now, so it's back to the basic Cumulus program, which runs/uploads no problem. 

I would have put the blame on my retard computer, which has been upgraded and had Windows reinstalled more times than I can remember.  After the last reinstall I have received no updates from Microsoft, so they've obviously lost interest in XP.  However, I have also tried using a modern notebook without success, so assume my probs not due to that.

I'm pretty well used to playing about with html/website building, as you probably have seen from my Ham Site, so I can't see what I possibly could have missed.  Not after 4 days of wracking my brain anyway.

Still, not the end of the world.  Just not my bag I guess.  Onward and upward with Cumulus ;)
Thanks for all your help guys, and good luck with your own endeavors.

Best Regards
Brian ;)

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
Hi Brian,

I'm sorry to read that you have so many troubles! Many hundreds sites now work
on these templates... as dummy as its owner could be!

An easier way to do that is to install Cumulus standard template and when all is working well,
you replace it by one of html version I offer (Sunny Weather or Weather Blues v1). These templates
take the place of Cumulus standard template and "fool" the system by letting it thinking that it is on
regular template!

Then, could be a way to succeed!

Hope this help,

Regards,
Jacques

Offline g0hdi

• G0HDI's RADIO SHACK
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 03:00:07 AM »
Yes I know Jacques, totally illogical. As you say, and I've witnessed, your templates are used successfully by a great many people out there, and logically I should be included. But there is obviously some unknown anomaly (Murphies Law) creeping in behind the scenes here that I can't put my finger on at the moment with my hardware/software, that results in screwing things up for me. It might hit me when if I come away from it all for a bit.  But at the moment whatever I try, Cumulus refuses to talk civilly to my Weather Blue site online. Weird, but there you go. No point in losing sleep over it.

I have since, gone back to the basic 'Cumulus', and as you see I have already started messing about with the colours/layout.  No problem there.  I'm actually thinking of just importing the Cumulus data into my own scratch built site, but I'll have a little play first I think.

My Ham sites were all built with a site builder/editor (Namo WebEditor or Serif Web Plus) that allows viewing in both edit and html modes, which makes it  convenient and quick to position text/code snippits/images, whatever, on a page, try different colors and immediately see the results by viewing in the browser as if live. 

Importing the Cumulus templates into my editor does not allow a live preview after modification, which means I have to keep uploading them to see the results.  Lazy aren't I, but old habits as they say. 

Have a nice day.
Regards
Brian 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 02:34:51 PM by g0hdi »

Offline g0hdi

• G0HDI's RADIO SHACK
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 02:39:49 PM »
Well trying to edit the url's on my last post went swimmingly :'(. All I wanted to point out was I've made a start on a main page from scratch, which links to existing pages that are being worked on, color wise.

Brian... Tea up!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:58:39 AM by g0hdi »