Author Topic: Weather Blues v1 FTP Issues  (Read 6624 times)

Offline Cliff

• Trent Hills Weather
Weather Blues v1 FTP Issues
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
I first started off using v2 and uploaded everything to my webspace on Bell Sympatico only to discover that it doesn't recognize PHP. So I deleted everything and then upload v1. Everything seems to be working fine but although I've made some changes in infos.htm nothing is changing on my webpage. I want to change the reference to your town and change the header that says "Small Weather Slogan Goes Here". I also want to change the analog clock because it is off by - 1 hour (but I do not know were to change that. I haven't set up Cumulus to automatically update the website but have been doing it manually within Cumulus using File -> Web Update. I've configured the Files settings under Internet Settings to FTP system.htm and infos.htm and images.htm.

I've noticed that when Cumulus is uploading these files they all have the extension htmtmp. Is that a problem and why is Cumulus doing that?

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
    • http://www.meteostours.ca
Re: Weather Blues v1 FTP Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
Hi Cliff,

Weather Blues v1 and v2 are pretty different . V2 is Php and have only 1 file to process,
but v1 is pure html and it "fool" Cumulus by taking place of Cumulus "Standard template"
in Cumulus\web folder.

Then put all htm files in directory Cumulus\web folder to replace Cumulus own template
In menu Configuration --> Internet --> Sites keep option html template ticked!
Follow simply these detailed instructions: http://weatherbyyou.com/wb1_sheet.php

For file .htmtmp, its normal, they are temporary files created by Cumulus on your Pc
before sending them to your website!

Hope this help,

Best regards,
Jacques
Please, consider supporting this site 

Offline Cliff

• Trent Hills Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:26:59 PM »
Hello Jacques,

Thank you for the quick reply. I am using Cumulus 1.9.2 build 1032 but I do not see the option under Internet Settings for html template. I did everything as outlined in your detailed instructions. Please see my website, http://www3.sympatico.ca/cliffpenn/weather. I just did a manual upload at 2203 hrs. Why is the main page still showing "Small Weather Slogan Goes Here" when I have changed it in infos.htm???

How do I change the clock to show the correct time, it is 1 hour slow. Could you also tell me how to enable the Environment Canada tab.

In addition when I am submitting a post and go the Verification it fails on me several times before it is accepted. The same thing happened when I was registering. This is extremely frustrating and I understand your need to try and stop spam. Maybe I'm just getting old but my answer to the second question "Weather by You offer free weather website T.......:     would be Templates but it refuses to accept it. I'm now going to try just "emplates" without the "T" to see what happens. Nope it doesn't like either answer and I know the stupid letters are correct. I'll try for a 7th time now!

10 times now and it still won't accept. The answer is probably not Templates or emplates. This is killing me! 14 times now. This is driving me insane! This is the only forum I know where you can't simply just reply to a post. I'm seriously thinking of just quitting and forget the whole thing!

Thanks for your help.

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »
Hi Cliff,

Sorry, I answered your post on my Pad and had no Cumulus to verify what to do.
But as I said yesterday night, v1 is a html template that need to replace Cumulus
standard template in Cumulus\web folder.

As you can see on image from processing files section of the installation guide,
http://weatherbyyou.com/wb1_sheet.php#console , you have to stay ticked these 2 options:
- Include Standard Files
- Include Standard Images.

Also, I've checked your account and you're regular member, for security question, answer is
right NOW, but before I had just 1 template (no "S"), but I correct it a few minutes ago!
Sorry, spam give me so many trouble than I thinked of closing all and scrap all templates...  >:(

Regards,
Jacques

Offline Cliff

• Trent Hills Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »
Jacques,

Sorry for my frustration but I had to answer the question 15 times before I put in "template". I'm sure you can understand my feelings. It would be the same as having the right key to get into your car but having to try it 15 times before the door opens! Don't give up on the templates because you've done such a fine job of customization. If you need that much security to stop spam then I will accept it.

I've done everything you've outlined in your instructions and the uploads are working OK. I just need answers to these questions:

1.     Where do you change "Small Weather Slogan Goes Here". I've replaced it in every htm file.

2.     How do you change the clock to display the correct time.

3.     How do you enable the Environment Canada tab to display their weather forecast.

Offline avoorpool

• http://pickeringweather.ca
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:52:11 PM »
Hi Cliff,

Congrats with the new Weather Site!!
Is it intentional to not use the metric system but "F" and "in" in your weather data, altough living in Canada  ;)
Your standard pages (Today, Yesterday, Records etc) are a bit "off" in terms of the width of your page, so they all show at the bottom while shifted. (check the line below, if your width is set correctly, otherwise change the 680px slightly)
<!-- WEATHER DATA BEGIN -->
<div id="right_h" style="width:680px">
<h2 class="titre">Today's Data at <#time></h2>

As for logo:
I see your Index.htm page still shows the following:
<div id="logo">
<a href="#">Campbellford Weather</a>
<h2><a href="#" id="metamorph">Small Weather Slogan Goes Here</a></h2>
Make sure that every change you make is made in the Cumulus "T" htm file (IndexT.htm or TodayT.htm etc).
Change the text there in your 'indexT.htm' file.

The clock:
Living in the same province, I've set the clock  as follows (in 'clockp.js' file)
// Analog Clock - Parameters Head Script
// You may change the parameters here to set up your clock
// refer to http://javascript.about.com/library/blclockm1.htm
// for a description of the parameters
var clocksize=70;
var colnumbers='000000';
var colseconds='ff0000'; // or false to hide
var colminutes='000000';
var colhours='000000';
var numstyle = 0;
var font_family = 'helvetica,arial,sans-serif';
var localZone = 0;
var mytimezone = -5;
var dst = 1;
var city = '';
var country = '';
var fix =1;
var xpos=0;
var ypos=4;

Save the changes and upload to your webserver.

Hope this will help,

Cheers,

Arthur

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:27:34 PM »
Hi Cliff,

For your questions, as Arthur wrote:

1 - For slogan, you have to change .htm file. All files endin with ...T.htm,
plus images.htm, infos.htm, system.htm and webcam.htm (if used)

2 - in 'clockp.js' file, change this line var mytimezone = -5;
(probably -4 for you)

3 - Sorry, if Sympatico counldn't run Php, Environment Canada forecast module
won't work as they are full php scripts! >:(

Finally, I tried all optional modules available for my forum but none were able
to solve problem with sex and advertizing spammers.

Your website is on a good way!

Regards,
Jacques

Offline Cliff

• Trent Hills Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
Is it intentional to not use the metric system but "F" and "in" in your weather data, although living in Canada  ;)
Your standard pages (Today, Yesterday, Records etc) are a bit "off" in terms of the width of your page, so they all show at the bottom while shifted. (check the line below, if your width is set correctly, otherwise change the 680px slightly)
<!-- WEATHER DATA BEGIN -->
<div id="right_h" style="width:680px">
<h2 class="titre">Today's Data at <#time></h2>

As for logo:
I see your Index.htm page still shows the following:
<div id="logo">
<a href="#">Campbellford Weather</a>
<h2><a href="#" id="metamorph">Small Weather Slogan Goes Here</a></h2>
Make sure that every change you make is made in the Cumulus "T" htm file (IndexT.htm or TodayT.htm etc).
Change the text there in your 'indexT.htm' file.

Thanks for the input Arthur.

As for your question about living in Canada and using Fahrenheit vs. Celsius, let's just say I'm a die-hard old fart that still hangs on to the good old days pre-metrication. I've been keeping weather statistics for the last 10 years using a junky WS2315 that is problematic and finally decided to buy a real weather station so I opted for a Davis. 32C just doesn't "sound" warm whereas 90 does to me. I can convert back and forth from F to C and C to F "on the fly" in my head so I guess it's just a matter of clinging to the past (similar to preferring music from the 50s over music from the 00s).

As for the slogan, I had changed every reference in all of the htm files except the ones ending with "T". I guess I didn't think it was necessary as the date stamp never changed on those files. I'm going to do that next.

Thank you for advising where the clock data is stored. I had checked very htm file thinking it was there. Didn't look at any js files. I've done that and the time is now correct. I just have to find the reference(s) to "St-Ours-sur-Richelieu, Québec, Canada" and change that next.

I don't see any problem with the page formatting on the pages you mentioned and I'm using Firefox. However, it appears to be a BIG problem in IE. I didn't modify any settings but I'll check the width settings to see if they match what you suggest.

One final question (and I'll bet the answer is PHP related), I notice your moon phase window shows correctly. Mine shows the text correct but all I see is a starry sky :(

Do you have any idea what would cause that?

And congrats on a nicely laid out website.

Offline Cliff

• Trent Hills Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
Hi Cliff,

For your questions, as Arthur wrote:

1 - For slogan, you have to change .htm file. All files endin with ...T.htm,
plus images.htm, infos.htm, system.htm and webcam.htm (if used)

2 - in 'clockp.js' file, change this line var mytimezone = -5;
(probably -4 for you)

3 - Sorry, if Sympatico counldn't run Php, Environment Canada forecast module
won't work as they are full php scripts! >:(

Finally, I tried all optional modules available for my forum but none were able
to solve problem with sex and advertizing spammers.

Your website is on a good way!

Regards,
Jacques

Thanks again Jacques for you help. 1 & 2 done. As for 3, yes, it sucks that Sympatico doesn't support PHP as v2 looks like a nicer product than v1 and easier to modify. Perhaps I can find a free host that supports PHP.

And I'm sorry that there are people in the world that think that spam is funny and overload us with unwanted sex and advertising.

Regards,

Cliff

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
Hi Cliff,

I'm happy that you solved your "hickups"!  ;D

Now template looks pretty good!! I like the bridge photo that you put
in your About pages! Will look for other photos in images page!
(These photos are my pay!!!  ;D :D )

For hosting, I promote iPage, starting at $3,50/month
(It has Php, unlimited disk space and lot more included)

Hope you'll have lot of fun with your new template!

Regards,
Jacques

Offline Cliff

• Trent Hills Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 06:27:14 PM »
Hi Jacques,

Thank you for all your hard work and creating a nice product.
I've now set Cumulus to auto-update every 5 minutes starting at 1900 hrs tonight.

My next project might be to incorporate the "Steel Gauges" into my website but it's probably beyond me.
The setup that Arthur has is really nice but I doubt I will ever get as "advanced" as that.
Beside the fact that I would have to use a host that supports PHP to do so.

One more question that Arthur noticed. Do you know why the page formatting is incorrect in Internet Explorer and appears OK in Firefox???

Hopefully this translation is correct :-[

Continuez votre excellent travail sur vos modèles.

Regards

Cliff

Offline Mr.Meteo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 06:58:35 PM »
hi Ciff,

I haven't see differences that you talk about! But there is always some differences between browsers.
Sometime if the difference is too "big" we could do some "trickeries" to solve it. But, if you have
some particular "fault" to highlight, go ahead and I'll see what to do!

SS Gauges are a not so difficult, and I work on ready made... look in Prototypes menu
2 different prototypes are in "vote" status

Oh! Also votre français est très bien!!

Cheers,
Jacques

Offline Cliff

• Trent Hills Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »
Jacques,

OK, maybe it is just screen size. If everything looks OK by you then I will leave it alone.
No sense to try and fix something that is not broke, it will probably make things worse.

Do SS gauges work in the HTML v. 1 of Weather Blues?

In your prototypes, SS Nature and SS Forged look the same.

Will these work with Weather Blues v.1 and what is the status of development.
I like Heavy Duty Gauges.

And my French is from memory about 50 years ago in school  :)

Merci mon ami

Cliff

Offline Cliff

• Trent Hills Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »
Jacques,

I just checked my website at 2140 hrs and the forecast icon shows a bright sun!
The forecast in Cumulus says "Increasing clouds with little temperature change."

Is there something I have to do to get the correct icon to display?
I assume it should be some sort of night time icon with clouds.

Cliff

Offline Cliff

• Trent Hills Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »
Jacques,

Sorry to be a pain with so many questions.
How do you make the clock larger on the main page.
I see there is a file called clockp.js with a size of 70.
If I change this to a larger number, 80 or 90, then numbers get larger but off center from face of clock.
At size of 70 can barely see clock let alone there is a PM above the hands and a day below the hands.

Forgive me but I know nothing of coding, especially HTML or java.

Thanks,

Cliff